Stanway Estate, established in the 8th century, is known to have had four watermills in 1291. They have been used over the centuries for fulling wool cloth, for paper production, for sawmilling, for electricity generation, to grind flour and to grind animal feed.
The mill in Church Stanway, now fully restored as a working flour mill, was recently re-opened
by HRH The Prince of Wales. Its massive 24-foot overshot waterwheel – the 8th largest waterwheel in England – made by local iron-masters James Savory of Tewkesbury ca.1850, drives traditional cast-iron machinery and heavy French burr-quartz millstones, to produce stoneground Cotswold flour from wheat grown less than one mile from the mill on the Stanway Estate.
Visitors may, during opening times, see the mill working, view the idyllic millpond, walk along the nearby Cotswold Way and buy a bag of wholemeal Cotswold flour. A traditional teashop is within view of the mill.